Monday, January 6, 2014

Mind Over Military

As we eagerly await to see what changes will come from the Presidents' signing of a new reform bill on sexual assault, my reservations on this new law doesn't come from the law itself but from the military leadership, and whether that leadership is willing to embrace those changes. Many credible news sources question the ability of this new law to stem the tide of sexual abuse already plaguing the Armed Forces.
It makes me wonder with an institution like the U.S. Military which has been out in front on so many issues in this country, why they are so slow to respond?

The Right, The Wrong, and The Military Way 

In order to make this law work, we must have good law enforcers: men and women who believe that the system should work for everyone. The problem is not the laws, but the mindset of the leadership. When leadership either ignores the problem or is part of the problem, then the law is dead in the water! You won't change the course of the sexual assault epidemic unless you change who is running the show!
Former Army Sgt Rebekah Havrlilla speaking to the Armed Services Sub-Committee meeting said "The hostility isn't even necessarily toward women; the hostility is towards the feminine--- the perception of being  less-than and the perception of being 'weak.'  Even though I was the only female in my unit, I wasn't the only one targeted for abuse. We had 2 other males in my unit that were targeted regularly for sexual harassment and sexual abuse.--- it was not a gender issue, it was a 'we are targeting what we we see as 'less-than.' The mind-set of when you have that mentality, and when you have the leadership that allows it to continue everyday--- it's the kind of culture that allows some of these unit commanders allow to thrive---"
 It's the Culture that many commanders are not in touch with, that does this sort of damage to troops, while they themselves will defend the status quo by saying "we need our authority to stay intact in order to maintain good order and discipline."

Speaking at the Senate Armed Sub Committee “ U.S. Army Chief of Staff General Raymond Odierno said,  "If I believe that removing commanders from their central role of responsibility in addressing sexual assault would solve these crimes within our ranks, I would be your strongest proponent,---  But making commanders less responsible, less accountable, will not work.” -MSNBC Andrea Mitchell Reports September 12, 2013

The problem that General Odierno seems to have is understanding that these leaders would still be responsible for their command. What the problem has been is these victims who have wanted to serve their country have been attacked by one individual or (several) and then attacked by the institution which should have been there to advocate for their rights. Many of the leaders say, "Well if they don't report then we can't prosecute." And yet many have been reported. How did those victims fall through the system? How was it that they were called liars, and then diagnosed as borderline personality disordered, and then removed from the military?

"The NCIS Agents assured me "we have never had this much evidence--- they had my clothing where my zipper was broken, and his finger print are on my articles of clothing, they had his DNA on my comforter, they found his DNA inside my rape kit he was still found not guilty" Darchelle

"I went to the 2nd in command--- He just said that I was a slut, and that females had no business in his unit, and I tried to explain to him about my physical wounds and the blood in the vagina, and running down my legs, and he told me,---'perhaps you'll just call it a bad period'---"  Teri

"I reported it, and got told that I was a liar, and told that I just wanted to go back home--- and the Master at Arms to whom I reported it, told me that he would speak with these gentlemen about it, and after he did that my life turned to hell--- I ended up going to the ships doctor--- I was bleeding, he told me it was fine--- probably just hemorrhoids or something, and don't worry about it I don't have to work for the day--- and go back to work the next day." - Heath

This is the picture of good order and discipline. This the situation, the US Armed Forces prides itself on. Apparently, the commanders up the chain of command want to appear to be in charge, but their efforts have not proven to reap a promising military career for servicemen like Darchelle, Teri, or Heath.  Their lives have been broken by their experiences, and we are asked to hope that the new bill for the NDAA will stem the tide of sexual assaults like a magic bullet. 

A Shorter Leash Maybe?

“If I do not see the kind of progress I expect, then we will consider additional reforms,”Mr. Obama said. He set Dec. 1 as the deadline for the Pentagon to show “substantial improvements” in sexual assault prevention and response, including military justice. Mr. Obama’s comments came after Congress approved a defense authorization bill that changes how the Pentagon handles rape and other sexual crimes in the ranks. Among the provisions in the bill, signed by the president Thursday, are new legal protections for victims, a bar against commanders overturning jury convictions or reducing sentences and the discharge of military members who have been convicted of sexual crimes.- Washington Post December 28,2013
While giving the president good marks on his decision to not give the top brass a blank check on this thing and walk away, I'm concerned that he want's a report as far off as December 1, 2014. Even as we speak, unless some of the chain of commanders have found a brain, a heart and the nerve from the Land of Oz, the carnage and mishandling of the lives of victims will continue.  In my opinion four quarterly reports would be best. This is a subject that should never leave their thinking.

Kirsten Gillibrand who continues to lead a relentless fight to make sure victims have their own independent access to legal counsel and to a fair trial is uneasy that this review is so far off.
And who can blame her. This is a problem that has been escalating for decades now.

“I do not want to wait another year to enact the one reform survivors have asked for,” she said in a statement reacting to Mr. Obama’s comments. Tough action, not just tough talk, is what’s needed. Washington Post December 28,2013



 "Not all commanders are objective--- Not every single commander necessarily wants women in the force--- Not every single commander believes what a sexual assault is--- not every commander can distinguish between a slap and the ass and a rape---" 
Senator Gillibrand is only proposing what many of our NATO allies have in place. A separate system to try more heinous crimes such as rape and murder. But because of our proud heritage going back to General George Washington, the military chooses to dig it's heels in on this one area of military life. We no longer live in an era of bayonets and muskets, we live in a time that is more sophisticated, and sadly most victims like the ones mentioned earlier might be tempted to think "We have found the enemy. And we are it!"
It's pretty straight forward. And in about 20 years from now, no one will know the difference. And not one top brass general will be "de-fanged" of his ability to lead.

My Reason For What I do


This young lady just joined the Army Air National Guard. I've known Shelbie since she was 16. Now she's 20, confident and wants to make a career in the service to her country. She threw me for a loop when she told me, she was enlisting. Naturally because of some of the horrors I've heard and read about. I saw her around New Year's Eve. She's all happy and confident. Told me stories of basic training, and boot camp. I'm proud and scared for her at the same time. I want her to be alright, and not get discarded like an old thing.
Shelbie is why I write this blog. I write in hope that victory will race ahead of the next victim, and they won't feel hopeless--- their minds filled with images that wont let them sleep. What will Shelbie be like a year from now? This is one matter that I would love to be wrong about.
She is at her first duty station now. And I hope that the changes this year will be enough so that she, and young women and men, will not be broken under an already broken system. I can only hope, maybe pray, and keep on writing.

Sources
MSNBC-                      Military chiefs fight for commander control of sexual assault cases
Protect Our Defenders- Military Justice Denied
TPM-                            A Rape and A Slap on The Ass
WWashington Post-      New sexual assault policies for the military may not go far enough

Support The #MJIA On @Twitter



Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/12/23/2962021/sex-assault-latest-target-for.html#storylink=cpy

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Kevin for your thoughtful reporting on this issue. As the mother of an Airman who recently returned from deployment, I wonder what happened to her over there. It's nothing she will speak to me about. It is indefensible that anyone who serves this country should fear those they serve with as much as the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sojourner28 Yes, children think that by keeping it to themselves, it will go away. I think i need to research PTSD for the future. It might help others come to grips with the problem, instead of being in denial. If she has been traumatized by something, it will be a matter of time before the behavior shows in other ways. I will keep a good thought for you and her. Do you think that she would like a copy of my blog? please feel free to pass this on, or I can do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well funded managed campaign that will raise the awareness nationwide of the existing problem nd aggressive assertive media will get the m.commanders to implements the existing laws nd put a stop to this tragedy!!!

    ReplyDelete