Monday, November 25, 2013

The Enemy Within The Ranks- Introduction

Today is " International Day For The Elimination of  Violence Against Women" Day. So it is fitting that I launch my blog on a subject that has it's hooks in my heart.

The issue of sexual assault in the military is one that will not let me rest. It haunts my very thoughts on a daily basis, as it should anyone with conscience for justice.
We speak proudly that the United States Armed Forces is the greatest in the world. We say it loud and boldly. We believe that our warriors (the men and women in uniform) are the best and brightest, the most combat ready, and reflect who we are as Americans. We fight for freedom, democracy, and justice both at home and abroad.


But the greatest shame we carry, is that there is an enemy within the ranks of the American military system that preys upon it's very own. There are sexual predators in the Army, Air Force, Navy, National Guard, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps. They victimize both women, and men within the very walls of the military, while closing ranks around the perpetrators, they retaliate against the victims, using the present system of military justice, and thereby victimizing the victims again.

On it's face sexual assault is heinous. And again military sexual assault wouldn't seem to be as epidemic, as some would say. But when you put a face on the victims who speak of their experiences at the hands of a broken system, you see that this problem is one of shameful tolerance, for a broken system that remains in place, and that continues to destroy lives, and cripple us as a nation.

Sexual assault in the military is not just some sad story being retold from time to time by the media, or should it be something we think will go away when we stop talking about it. It is a reality, and America's shame that cannot be covered over, or ignored, or downplayed. And neither should it be thought of as "Oh well, it happens." It's sad that women are more likely to be raped, by a fellow brother within the ranks, than an enemy in combat.  



There are voices crying out for justice for women and men, who have been and continue be to victims of this inconceivable crime. I'm choosing to add my voice to theirs. It has been my passion for years now. And so with information and insight, I will endeavor to keep those of you who follow me up to date. I will be reporting on 3 fronts.

Testimonies of survivors and their stories, the past and present military response to sexual assault in the military, and the progress from our government on this issue.

Your comments are welcomed, however, I will not engage in long term unproductive debating, or downplaying this issue. Also be mindful that while I will make comments, and post quotes from politicians, media consultants, this is not a partisan issue for me. And quoting a politician is not an endorsement.

If you are a survivor of military sexual assault and would like to contribute to this blog with your story feel free to contact me by my email address. Thank you and let's fight this "invisible war" together.



"No Excuse For Abuse"

No comments:

Post a Comment